Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Spins Etc.

My lesson with Holly on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.

I warmed up with Bronze Moves (skipped power-3s tho). 

Today's lesson:

  • spins -- we worked on some spin exercises.  First we worked on basically a spin-pivot -- putting the L foot on the sweet spot and turning around by pushing with the R foot, trying to keep the head up and standing up straight.  Next we worked on holding a BI edge without getting too far up on the toe.
  • 5-step mohawk -- the BI edge exercise led to working on the BO edge in the context of the 5-step mohawk  -- I demonstrated to her how far up on the toe I get when I am doing this. So Holly held my hands while I did it and of course in that setting I can do it without getting up on the toe.  So we worked it some more to flex the foot and get the middle of the blade down.   We also worked to do more of a push onto the BO edge, which helps a lot.  I used to do this and I'd forgotten.  Urph.

After the on-ice lesson, we got off the ice and took our skates off.  I had brought my spin trainer with me and Holly showed me what she wanted me to do, basically similar to what I was doing on-ice with pushing myself around.  I tend to get twisted with the free leg behind me -- Holly showed me that I need to keep the free leg even with the skating leg and stay square into the motion.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home