Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Perseverance

I skated the 5:30 p.m. FS at Chandler as usual for practice.  I ran through Bronze Moves (all of them, I didn't skip any this time!).  I then spent the remaining 20 minutes or so working on spins.  In that whole time, I think I had 4 that would have looked like a (short) spin. Geez.

I'm really discouraged.  My 15-year skativersary is coming up, and it's very disheartening to think that something that seems to come pretty easily to practically everyone else, kids or adults, is so difficult for me.  It's just.... so frustrating.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger George A said...

    Nothing is ever easy for adults--especially adults like me who are stiff, inflexible, and have a history of injuries that young skaters don't have. I have so many issues related to my left side that I wonder if I'll ever advance beyond where I seem to have currently plateaued out. But I keep chipping away even as I watch skaters who started later than I did blow thru elements that continue to elude me. I try to concentrate on one small thing at a time and tell myself that if I compare myself to the progress of others it will do nothing but make me crazy. I'm an old recreational skater and from time to time I need to remind myself of the fun of skating, the health benefits of the sport and not worry about conquering stuff. Mastery happens when it happens.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home