Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Off Day

 I skated the Ice Cafe at Chandler for my figures lesson with Danette.  I had second lesson so I had a chance to scribe some circles, but I didn't get time to warmup other than that.  Session was relatively crowded (12 skaters).

I had felt "off"... unsettled, and unsafe somehow all morning, and this session didn't help.  It didn't help that Cydney was getting on the ice right after me and forgot to take her guards off and fell (she wasn't hurt).  It didn't help that Donna fell while working with Danette on something on the boards.  And it didn't help the session was crowded, there was a hockey guy zipping around at high speed, and the music was obnoxious (and I forgot my phone dongle, so I couldn't play anything).

Then in lesson, I was constantly on flats and not a good edge.  In patch blades, being on a flat is alarming because you skid!  They are so flat (ROH = 1.5"!) that you can just skid sideways easily on a flat.  Ugh.

Today's lesson:

  • edges -- bleah.  Backward were okay, lots of flats on my FO.  Ugh.
  • waltz-8 -- we agreed we really need to start spending more time on these to try to get them testable.  Ugh.  This was just not a good day.  My 3s were horrible, and every time I tried to step forward I was on a flat and couldn't bring it around to center.  Ugh.  Just ugh.
Not my best lesson...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home