Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Exhibition

Today the Phoenix adult skaters had our send-off exhibition at Oceanside Ice Arena. Erika Rietz and a cast of thousands (okay, not that many) organized this.  We had about 14 skaters and 18 starts, in 3 warmup groups.  I skated my free skate, as well as running music for the exhibition.  Many thanks to Melissa for running music for *me* lol!

 We had a 6 minute warmup, which I was really grateful for since I had not skated freestyle all week!  Ugh.  So I had some time to warmup on the ice.  Warmup was okay although the salchow was still being wonky. What's up with that?

 For my free skate, I decided to face the audience (my stepmom came!).  Not a big deal.  Program started off well, I did once of the nicest pivots I think I've ever done :-) and into the toe loop at good speed and it was really good! Well, cheated, but really good.

 Unfortunately, the skate gods giveth... and they taketh away :p  After the toe loop I stepped forward and hit my toepick and wham! Down on the ice.  Didn't hurt or anything but I was sliding across the ice and it took me a bit to get up, so I was behind.  From there the spin was ... okay.  The salchow was weird on the landing, not good.  Footwork was okay but I was slow.  Spiral was a bit slow also.  Waltz-toe was actually okay, and final spin and pose more or less okay, though of course I ended late since I fell.  Since I'll be skating up to Bronze I'm not worried about it since I have 10 extra seconds anyway.

 All in all, for not having skated, really not bad.  I really hate these unexpected falls!  But it was okay.

 After that I ran music for the rest of the event, and we hung out for a bit and took a pic. Loads of fun and I hope it's bigger and better next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home