Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

2018 MidWinter Warmup Showcase Dramatic Program

I skated my "Years" Showcase Dramatic program at MidWinter Warmup today.

Melissa, Lora and I got to the rink at about 7:45 a.m.  Melissa's first event was at 8:45 and mine was next at 9:05, so after checking in we had plenty of time to chill out.  Literally, because the rink was FREEZING.  So I tried to spend as much time in the lobby as possible.  Finally it was time to get my skates on and check in.  I was skating with one other skater, a woman from San Diego -- I was skating 2nd.  We had some chit chat while the previous event finished up, then out we went for our warmup.

I was feeling pretty good after my ice time the previous day so I just did some laps, the warmed up my waltz jump and toe loop, then ran the bunny hop->lunge->toe loop sequence and it was okay.  Ran through some of the other footwork and some other stuff and then they called us off the ice.

While my competitor was skating I tried to just focus on what I was about to do and relax.  Finally they called me out and out I went, took my place and off I went...

It went really well!  I felt like I was skating relatively fast.  Spins were not so great (as always) but other than a little shakiness on the lunge it was really pretty good.  I finished maybe a second early so just held my pose; then went and bowed and got off the ice.

In the end I got straight 2nd place ordinals.  Oh well!  I'm sure my competitor could actually spin, for one thing.  I need to fix that if I want to get anywhere.  I'm really happy with my skate.


Thanks to John Hurd Productions for the video!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home