Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

2018 MidWinter Warmup Free Skate

I debuted my new "Exorcist" free skate today at the MidWinter Warmup.

After skating my showcase program I had almost 2.5 hours to kill so I watched some great skating and tried to stay warm in the freezing rink (I went outside in the sunshine periodically), and also ate a snack.

Finally it was time to put on my costume and skates.  I really love my costume for this program! It's really awesome and I have gloves which is nice so my hands don't get so cold :-).  I skated an exhibition, and warmed up with 2 Bronze men and a Gold man.

When it was time for the warmup, they called us out and I warmed up my jumps.  I did my Salchow and it was really awful.  I can't really describe what the problem was; I landed 2-footed and never really took off, and I felt like I wasn't over my skate on the entry.  Ugh.  So I tried a couple more and the last one was only marginally better than the first.  I decided that I needed to move on and not spent any more time, so from there I warmed up my waltz-toe combination (not so great) and spiral (for some reason I was nervous and my leg was shaking).  I also ran some of the footwork and that was relatively okay.

I was skating first, so I came off the ice at the one-minute warning, got some water and tried to relax a little.  Finally it was time to go... I skated out and took my position, and the music started.

The beginning was great!  I did a really nice job with the pivot, and then the rest into the BXOs was good.  I think I only did 4 crossovers instead of the 5 I'm supposed to do but I was moving relatively fast and into the toe loop, which was okay.  Footwork was okay into the spin, which was not so great (as usual).  From there I did my crossovers into the Salchow... and the Sal just did not happen. I'm not exactly sure what happened but it was not good.  I didn't fall, I just didn't really do the jump.  Yuck.

Anyway I managed to keep moving into the footwork and the spiral, which was all okay.  From there I went into the waltz-toe; the waltz jump went okay but I rushed and didn't really prep the toe loop so I fell.  Yuck!  I've not fallen in a program in a while.

I got up (not as fast as I would have liked) and went into the final spin and pose and ended mostly on time.  Took my bow and exited the ice.

It's just as well it was an exhibition!  I am not upset that I fell -- the waltz-toe is hard for me and I had low expectations.  I'm not happy with the Salchow though -- I don't remember that happening before.  Urph.

Sectionals is 2 weeks from Friday!  Ack.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home