Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

2017 Autumn Antics Showcase Dramatic

Today I skated my "Years" program at the 2017 Autumn Antics.

It was a really busy day!  I was also chief music tech, so I arrived at the rink at 6:40 a.m. and spent the next 6 hours or so doing final prep and then running music.  Since Autumn Antics is run like a show there is almost no break at all.  I finally got my break around 12:15 or 12:30.

I was scheduled to compete about 1:43 but the competition had been running early all day, so I was aiming to be ready a bit earlier than that. I spent some time just getting warm again after sitting in the cold for so long.  Finally about 1 p.m. I got my costume on, then put my skates on around 1:15.  I went and checked in with the ice monitor and waited for my chance to warmup.

I was competing against two women (Gwen and Patty).  We got on the warmup ice (behind the curtain, so it's small).  Like I'd worked on with Tammy, I did some stroking, then mohawk sequence a couple of times, then a couple of bunny hops, then a couple of lunge-toe loops, then a waltz jump.  Some conversation with Holly and some feedback.  I landed several really nice toe loops (well, nice as in "on one foot" but it's because I said "screw it, I'll toe waltz it but it will look better" :-( ).  Then a couple more bunny hops.  I was feeling a bit nervous/anxious but not too bad, really.

Finally it was time to go.  I went out and circle around to my position -- honestly for a second I forgot exactly where I was supposed to go! lol.  Took my position and music started.  First part went well -- I was a little early on the arms before the 1st spin.  The first spin was -- short, but okay (for me).  Into the backward stroking/BXOs and the "beauty" position in front of the judges.  Holly had reminded me to smile but I didn't do a great job.  Oh well!  Mohawk sequence - first one was okay but I got a little off balance when I crossed my feet which slowed me going into the 2nd one.  Yuck.  Then the BXOs (remembered the arms, yay!) but I think I forgot to do the side toe hop. Urph.  Waltz jump was okay, did the bunny hop okay, but for some reason I had the same issue with the lunge that I had before - my free leg didn't stay back and I wound up just sort of bringing it in, then standing up for the toe loop.  All that made me forget to do the arms on the lunge (I think).  Urph.  Toe loop was landed on one foot (yay) but a little rough.  The end of the program went okay (final spin not bad) and I ended just on time, yay!

One weird thing -- I got really behind the music early in the program; not sure exactly how but it was before or during the backward stroking.  I just know I was in the "beauty" pose and heard the music cue that was supposed to be for the mohawk sequence.  So I was 2 - 3 seconds late there, and I felt like I was till late through the waltz jump. I must have been skating faster, though, because I came out of the toe loop and discovered I was right on time!  Weird.

Anyway, finished the program and started to go to center ice to bow.  Minor annoyance - the announcer did the "this concludes" event announcement before I bowed!  Grrr.  A screwup, not intentional I know but kind of annoying.  Anyway I bowed and got off the ice. Big hugs from Holly and collected some tossies from Melissa and a couple of other people -- very sweet!

I waited around and the results were posted -- I got 3rd of 3.  3 3rd place ordinals and 2 2nd place ordinals.  I was a little disappointed, but I didn't see the competition so who knows?  Anyway I was pretty pleased that my first competition in over a year and a half was done and I skated well. Yay!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home