Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Patch Perseverance

I skated the Chandler adult FS for patch practice today.  Nice ice.  9 skaters (eep).  I just got my patch blades sharpened over the weekend, the first sharpening for them since Dec. 2015 (!).  Well, I was off the ice for a good long while and I don't get that much patch practice.

I spent about the first half of the session warming up with edges and then working on FO8/FI8. Yuck.  Not getting around on the R foot, and it didn't improve much.

After that I spent about 20 minutes working on waltz-8. It took me about that long just to get my turns back!  I also spent some time just working on the step forward from BO edge.  Bleah.

I spent the last 5 or so minutes working on BO8.  Push is still lacking and I'm lacking some control on the second half of the circle.  Yikes.

When I was wiping my blades down after the session I looked closely at my blades and noticed that the front of my R blade seems to not be straight -- it slopes from outside to inside slightly.  Don't know if this is new or old or what (I suspect it's been there a while).  Also not clear if it's actually significant. I'll show it to Lynne on Thursday and see what she thinks. Worst case I might have to send them to Jim to be fixed :-(.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM , Blogger George A said...

    It's not unusual for blades to develop a little warpage with use. My skate tech checks my blades with a steel straight edge during each sharpening. He has a small press, mounted to the end of his workbench, that he uses to work the warped blade back into shape.

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    thanks George. It's not out of true back to front, it's just that the outside edge is a little higher than the inside edge - but only at the very front of the blade. I had Lynne look at it today and I think it's not really a problem.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home