Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, June 01, 2015

Spins, Power 3s

My lesson with Lynne on the 7:45 a.m. FS at Chandler.  We're on summer schedule now so this is only a 45 minute session.  There is a specialty class following at 8:30.  We had 5 skaters on the session, a lot more than there were before summer but still quite workable.  I warmed up with Bronze moves.

When JJ and I talked last week we agreed that since I will not be able to work on figures this month I should use the extra lesson time with Lynne to do test prep.  Accordingly we will split our time between spins and moves.

Today's lesson:

  • standing start spins -- wow!  The first couple were just okay (2 rev) but after that I did a couple that were 4-rev, including one that was beautifully centered.  Yay!  I was doing a much better job of relaxing, and holding the free leg back, and actually finding the sweet spot on the blade and sticking with it :-).  Yay me!
  • windup -- alas these were not as good as the above.  Still rushing too much.
  • power-3s -- we spent a bunch of time working on back lobe BXO and step forward (on the RFO3 side).  Ugh.  We did make some progress in really pulling the shoulder back and turning the head, but it's still really rough and when I get in the pattern it is hard for me to remember to do all this :-(.
I'm really excited about my spin progress!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home