Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Moves, Jumps, Dance

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  I warmed up with Bronze moves as usual.

Today's lesson:

  • 5-step mohawk -- about 15 minutes on this. We worked on stabilizing the BO edge of the move.  In the past I've been waaaay up on my toe, dragging my toepick on that edge; so we made some good progress in fixing that.  If I can reinforce this in my practice I'll feel like this move is more or less ready to go.
  • toe loop -- ugh.  We worked on getting me to bring the RBO edge around and not have me feet too close together.  We actually made some progress on this.
  • loop prep -- we revisited the drill from last week, which I had also worked on briefly yesterday (Mohawk, two-foot turn, hop).  That actually is pretty comfortable (even the hop) so now we are working on doing it on one foot :-).  That will take some work.
  • swing rolls -- I'm considering taking the ice dance class Chandler is going to offer in June and July, so in prep for that we spent just a couple of minutes on swing rolls.  They actually have gotten a lot better than I remember... but I need to try doing them at tempo now.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home