Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Preliminary Test & Serpentines

My figures test with Lynne on the Chandler Ice Cafe.

We started my lesson as soon as I got on the ice.  In some ways not optimal but it is good practice for the test (no warmup as a simulation for nerves).

Today's lesson:

  • edges -- pretty good.  I'm really pleased that the BI edges are improved enough that the first lobe is almost the same size as all the others. 
  • FO8 -- I forgot to mark my center for this but decided to just go with it.  Actually I was okay as I just looked for my push-off mark.  A little wonky on the first LFO (a bit flat) but other than that not bad.
  • FI8 -- pretty nice.  Didn't mark my center for this either as an experiment. It was fine.
  • waltz-8 -- wow!  These were actually so much better!  I was really really happy with them.  I am holding the BO edge long enough and that is making the step forward and FO return a lot easier.  I'm still a little inside the circle on the BO.  We did them again and they were even better!  I'm really excited at my progress on these.  Still some work to do on making sure I step onto a good FO edge at the end but that is coming too. Yay!
  • serpentines -- just 5 min or so on these.  The change of edge is a lot better and smoother and I feel like I have more control.  The main weakness now is the flow and push, I am stil about a quarter-circle short of finishing each 1.5 circle side.  Grrr.
After my lesson I spent the rest of the time working on serpentines and on practicing pushing.

All in all a great lesson!  I'm really pleased with my progress.   We have 6 or 7 weeks before I will have to commit to what figures to do for the Sherwood competition.  However the Chandler rink schedule is going to change for the summer after next week and I don't know how much figures ice I will get.  :-(

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home