Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ice Dance #3

Ice dance class with Naomi at Chandler, session #3.  Tonight we were on the east rink, instead of the west as we were for the previous two sessions.  That meant that we were after the previous LTS sessions and we had torn-up ice.  Yuck.

Tonight's class:
  • Russian stroking -- Naomi admonished us that for dance we always needed to have good form, so she had us practice our perimeter FXOs (Russian stroking) with pretty arms.  Since I am doing this for Bronze moves it was not too hard for me.
  • chassés review -- we reviewed the chassé, slide chassé and cross chassé.  Urp.  The first two are fine for me.  I really need to spend some time working on the cross chassé (cross-behind). I feel like I actually have the right position I just need to be braver and try it on the boards a few times, then someplace where I won't get run over by someone if I fall...
  • swing roll/cross rolls -- we practiced our swing rolls again and also learned cross rolls.  I can actually pretty much do the cross roll okay. The swing rolls are getting a little better so that is good though I really need to practice them more (I don't see that happening until I'm done with the Bronze moves test, though).
  • Canasta Tango -- we learned this dance bit-by-bit.  I didn't really remember it from before so it was a (re-)learning experience but really it wasn't that bad.
  • Dutch Waltz -- just at the end she had us go through the DW without any review really (it was a test to see if we remembered).  I mostly remembered it so that was not too bad.
I'm really enjoying this class.  I was afraid I would be intimidated by being in with the kids but really it's been okay.  I think I'm a much better skater than when I took the previous classes so that is probably helping a lot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home