Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Ice Dance Class #1

Tonight was our first Ice Dance class at Chandler.  Alas, while Naomi Lang was supposed to be teaching, airline difficulties meant she was not able to be there tonight.  Ice Den found us a substitute, our very own Lynne Petta - AND - they are going to add a free additional session 7/22 for us.  Nice!

Tonight's class:
  • stroking -- emphasis on nice lines, pushing correctly, and holding each stroke on a 3 count.
  • swing rolls -- ugh.  Of course my swing rolls have not magically improved with disuse :-).  Although they were better than I remembered them; but still the same problem, I either need to skate a lot faster or have smaller lobes (ideally a bit of both).  Meh.
  • progressives -- well, not really progressives, just crossovers, but done in rhythm.
  • Dutch Waltz intro --  we pretty much learned the pattern (again, for me) for the DW.  It seemed easier than I remembered (though really it was never that hard).  If I had decent swingrolls I could totally do this dance.  Well, solo, anyway!
Class was an hour, and I was pretty whupped when it was done.  We had about 15 people in the class (!) with just Lynne and Tammy and Danette helping (I think Danette did not stay the whole time, but I'm not sure).  We had 5 adults and 10 kids, some of them relatively high level.  I was not the slowest, but I was close :-).  Lol.

It was fun!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home