Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 06, 2015

2015 PCAS Free Skate

Today I skated my "Ashton" free skate program at the 2015 Pacific Coast Adult Sectional Championships.

I did not have practice ice today (I had it last night).  I was a little concerned about this but not too much, as I really felt that the things I could prepare for, I was prepared for; and as for the rest if I didn't already know it I wasn't going to fix it now.  I got a great night's sleep and spent the day watching some great skating and relaxing.

About 35 minutes before my skate I got my costume and boots on and then had some time to hang out while waiting for my event. I had time for a last minute pep talk from my friend Agnes, which really helped as I was feeling pretty negative about things.

Finally it was time to check in and wait for our event to start.  I was skating with 3 competitors -- Mark Lui, Boone Lee, and Keith Nordine.  I'd skated with the first two before; the 3rd I'd seen skate an exhibition at MidWinter.

Our event started and they called us out for the warmup.  I was skating second, yay!! I had a good warmup, had a chance to warmup my spin and salchow and all my worrisome areas.   I actually got a decent spin!  Then I was worried that I'd gotten my one good spin for the day and wouldn't do it in the program... oh well. :-)  Finally it was time to come off.

I didn't watch the first competitor (Keith), I just tried to talk myself through my program and be in a good frame of mind.  Then it was my turn.  I took the ice, got in my position... and started slipping/turning a bit.  Not uncontrollable but it was a little awkward -- fortunately the music started pretty promptly and off I went.

The footwork section went well; the lead-in to the waltz jump/side toe hop was good and right on time. The next footwork went well and the spin more-or-less came off -- again, not enough revs to count, I'm sure, but I ended it in a great pose so I went with it.  The salchow was not so great but I didn't fall or anything and I was ahead of the music.  I had a little issue getting into the forward pivot (but I had oodles of time), then did the back pivot... and found myself either forgetting or just not in the right position to get into my final pose (not sure what happened, really).  So I made up a final pose that was sort of the same but the legs were different and went with that.  Close enough.

I bowed to the judges, collected several tossies (yay!) and skated off.

In the end I placed 4th of 4.  From what I could see I didn't have enough elements (that counted!) to have a chance of winning.  Oh well.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM , Blogger Hudson Family said...

    I watched the vid, you're overthinking spin and sow. Let it go. Spin is not about spinning, and Sow is not about jumping. They are both about the entry edges. Focus just on those for a little while, and let everything else go. When my spin goes away, it's because I'm trying too hard on the end result and not the lead-in edgery.

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks. I overthink all this stuff. It's the story of my life, unfortunately.

     
  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger Mary @ Fit and Fed said...

    I enjoyed watching your skate and spectating with you at Sectionals!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home