Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 05, 2015

2015 PCAS Showcase Light Entertainment

I skated my "She Blinded Me With Science " program for the last time (I'm retiring it) at PCAS this afternoon, here at the Sobe Ice Arena in Las Vegas.

There was a bit of kerfuffle about this program because of my table that I use for holding the props.  For PCAS, competitors enter through the hockey boxes but my table wouldn't fit, both because the bench blocks the way and also the door won't open all the way.  So I would have had to lift the table up and over to get it on the ice; which would have taken to long and had a high probability of dropping my stuff on the ice or otherwise being a mess.  I talked with registration, who checked with the referee, who agreed I could bring my stuff in from a different door.  We then had to work out exactly how this would work.  I had thought about skating over from the hockey boxes when I was announced but that would have taken too long, and also I noticed the door in question was not open-able from the ice side (!).  In the end, I got Melissa and Mary to open/close the door for me and I just went off through that door after the warmup and then came on and off from there, which worked fine.

I was skating against two other men, Scott and "Wild John" (that's really what it said on the starting order).  We went out for the warmup and after a little bit of nerves I managed to go through a couple of my elements and generally felt pretty good.  At the one minute warning I grabbed my stuff (I realized I needed my guards since I wasn't coming back to the hockey boxes) and went off through the other door.

Scott skated first and did a pretty cool "marching band" program.  Then they announced me so I got my stuff on the ice and skated into position.  As I did so I got a bit nervous again but it passed.

The music started, and off I went.  Everything went well; but I didn't feel like any of it was really... great?  Just okay.  I've been getting more and more nervous about the spin every time I do the program (it's doing it in the sunglasses) but it was okay.  Really, everything went quite well but I think I've done it a bit better in the past (like, at Autumn Antics).

Finished on time, grabbed a couple of tossies and skated my stuff off the ice (thanks Mary and Melissa!).

Wild John then came on and did.. an entertaining but kind of odd program that was all in the center of the ice with some nice spins and interesting footwork.

In the end Scott was first, I was second and John was third (the skating order!).


Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger Mary @ Fit and Fed said...

    Scott with the UW marching band program is from one of my rinks! I skated on the same session as him a few times before Sectionals, he worked hard. The purple trombone is quite an amazing prop!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home