Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, October 05, 2012

What's A Scribe?

It occurred to me that many readers probably have never seen a scribe.  Here's a picture of mine:



My scribe (and I imagine most of the "stock"scribes that were made) has a metal post with grooves in it that was originally supposed to be used to inscribe circles in the ice.  Alas with generally prevailing ice and lighting conditions in my rink (and most modern rinks I've been in) it's really hard to see the mark from the metal post.  So I jury-rigged an attachment to hold a big Sharpie-style marker to the end of the scribe using a couple of hose clamps.  Here's what it looks like:

You can see the original metal post at the end of the metal rod, and the marker secured just inside of it.  It works pretty well so long as the ice is dry; the marker doesn't work well at all if the ice is wet (e.g. immediately after an ice cut).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home