Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Basics & Introspection

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert, as usual.

We started off spending some time on back crossovers, as I was complaining about how I am too square in the perimeter crossovers for Bronze moves.  JJ made me hold a hockey stick behind my back and try to do BXOs.  Yow!  If you've never tried this, it's rather challenging.  I couldn't do more than back swizzles that way and even that was kinda scary.  We also spent some time on the wall just working on that position.  I'm realizing that my edges are just not deep enough, pretty much ever. (Cue Taylor Swift -- "Like... EVER").

After that we spent some time talking about my training routine and the off-ice training I am supposed to do but I'm not.  JJ mentioned that when  I first starting working with him I made a lot of progress rapidly, because I was getting more ice time than before... but then since I was not working out anymore, my progress tailed off and that's kind of where I am now.  So... stuff to think about.  I need to kind of get my act together a bit better in general and this is part of it.

After my lesson I skated the following session and spent most of it on power-3s and perimeter BXOs.  They are actually improving.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home