Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Waltz-8 & 3s

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club, as usual.  I warmed up with the Preliminary test as usual; Lynne came on the ice after I'd finished the warmup.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- lots of time on these.  We worked on having a better BO edge ( "treat it just like any other BO edge!") with some success (deja vu from my lesson with JJ this morning!).  I also realized that when my exit from the 3 goes out wide, it's probably because I was very diagonal going into the turn (not a good curve/edge).  So that is something that is fixable and it was better.  Finally we spent some time working on the step forward in isolation.  Lynne suggested I work on leaning into the circle more before the step forward, and also that the transition needs to be quicker.  Eeep.
  • 3s to center -- we'd not looked at these in a while it seems. Turns are still pretty scrapey.  Lynne suggested (again!) that I need to lean more into the circle before the turn (in part to keep me from leaning out of the circle).  The other (longstanding) problem is that while I get up on the rocker for the turn, I don't settle down again promptly and so I skid.  Grrr.
Working with the scribed circles is definitely helping my waltz-8, and other stuff too.  I noticed when working on the BI8 yesterday that I don't have a real problem anymore pushing out to the larger circle size; I still can't make it around that full-size circle (my push is still inadequate) but at least I'm getting the position right.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home