Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Scribe Success

I had my figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club as usual. 

I had taken some time last night to work on attaching a marker (I went and bought a "Magnum Sharpie" at OfficeMax) to my scribe.  After some messing around I managed to get it attached with the materials I had at hand -- it's not really very secure so I'd still like to go to the hardware store and find something better.

I warmed up with edges, then took my scribe and laid out a pair of circles; I also marked the 1/3 points for the waltz-8 FO3, BO edge start and end.  I started practicing the waltz-8 on them and also did some FI8.  Quite a change!  Then Lynne came on the ice and we started our lesson.  We used the scribed circles for the whole lesson.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- the scribed circles help a lot!  Key differences I noticed are holding the exit from the 3 turn longer and into the circle more; starting the BO edge in the right place, and holding it for the full length (this was quite an adjustment).  My step-forward is still rough but this was better also.  Lynne was pleased.  The main thing at this point is that I'll have to practice a lot more with the scribe to get my muscle memory adjusted.
  • 3s to center -- these are about the same; 3s are just okay and I'm not able to hold the BI edge out afterward.  Need more work.
  • serpentines -- these were worse.  I think I might not have used quite as big a circle when I practiced them; in any case my edges seemed rather poor and my pushes were weak.  Transitions were not so great but improved.
  • BI8 -- Lynne wanted to look at these at the end -- I wasn't enthused!  Actually with the scribed circles I did remarkably well at pushing out at the beginning, but I only got about 2/3 of the way around the circle at first.  I did better at pushing to the middle of the blade so I got up to just over 3/4 of the circle.  More work required here too.
So... a great lesson.  Lots more to do though!  I'm going to stick with the scribe for the next several weeks I expect and see if I can get the Preliminary test stuff (esp. waltz-8) whipped into shape.  I really want to take and pass that test!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM , Blogger marizel said...

    In my experience, if you wrap a thick rubber band a couple of times around the Sharpie, it makes it grippier for whatever else you're using to attach it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home