Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Scribing

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  I warmed up with the Preliminary test as usual.  Lynne came on the ice as I was finishing the waltz-8.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- we spent quite a bit of time working on this.  After the first time, I mentioned that I had my scribe with me so we got it out and Lynne showed me how to use it.  Some points of geometry that I had not realized (hey, it has been a long time since Mrs. Lathrem's HS Geometry in .. 1977?) -- namely you can use the scribe to scribe the 1/3 points where (for example) the FO3s should be (and similarly, where the BO edge should begin and end).  If you are at the center point (where the two circles touch) then the 1/3 points are one radius (i.e. one scribe length) distant along the circle.  Having marked all those points, we worked some more on the waltz-8.  It's still pretty hard to see the marks from my scribe so I still need to pursue getting a marker attached.  I found working with the scribed circle to be a bit of an eye-opener, and it was very very helpful.  Lynne pointed out that I'm not putting my foot down on the step forward anymore, so that's really positive.  I really just need to keep working on standing up straighter on the BO edge and stepping forward around more.
  • serpentines -- back to these... seems like a long time since I've worked on them.  The good news is that my flow and transitions seem to be better.  The bad news is that I'm not pushing hard enough at all, so I'm still about 1/2 a circle short :-(.  Grrr.
All in all I'm feeling pretty good about things.  I really want to get this waltz-8 whipped into shape and get this test done, maybe before the end of the year.  I hope so.

Addendum: This geometric construction  shows what I'm talking about -- it doesn't say 1/3 of the half circle, but an equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles which is 1/3 of the 180 degrees in a half circle so there it is.  Cool.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home