Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sherwood Invitational 2012 Experiences

I had a great time at the Sherwood Invitational.  I've blogged already about my actual skating; this blog is more about my experiences at the competition.

I had been asked by the volunteer coordinator to organize the ice monitors, so I met with (most of) them Friday evening during club skate.  I wrote up a brief document describing how to be an ice monitor, so I went over that and then handed out copies and asked them to read them over before their shift.  None of the volunteers had ever ice monitored before.

I showed up at 7:45 a.m. Saturday morning to help get things going (I was present at the beginning of each person's shift to help get them trained).  A few minor things to straighten out but no major issues.  In general the ice monitors did a great job and things ran smoothly from that perspective.

It was, as always, great to see so many friends at this competition.  It's the main reason I come, it's such a great environment.  Saturday was really, really long though as I finished skating at almost 6 p.m., then hung out and watched my buddies Sierra and Madison testing (they passed!), then had dinner with Sonya and Kelli.  A really long day!

Sunday I was back at the rink at 7:45 a.m. to get things started, and then I had my own ice monitor shift from 10-12.  Good stuff. 

I was talking with some folks on Saturday night, I think, and I mentioned I was going to be at NWP regionals next month.  I was asked if I would like to volunteer, and I said yes, but I'd really like to announce again (I've not gotten to announce since last year, I think).  So.. that might happen!  That would be fun.  I love announcing.  I have a good voice for it, and you have the best seat in the house.  It's fun.  Okay it's a bit cold and sometimes a little stressful, but still, a lot of fun.  We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home