Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Moves Woodshedding

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  This was a make-up for last week's missed lesson.

Today's lesson:
  • BXOs -- I had warmed up with  BXOs to BO edges, and JJ had me work with the hockey stick behind my back some more to get the feeling of really turning into that edge.  It was a bit better.  It seems like one of the big things is to really take a moment after the BO edge to prep for the next BXO, and get turned into the new circle.  Some progress I think.
  • 5-step mohawk -- I did a whole pattern of these (I really need to do that ALL the time, not just sometimes!).  The BO edge is still a bit weak, and of course my mohawks are pretty atrocious.  We spent some quality time working on them at the wall.  I tend to hop them even though I know that's not how it's supposed to be.  So we worked on getting them to be more curved and not so straight, and to let the trailing foot actually come around.  Hmm.
After the lesson JJ spent some time with me answering questions about my off-ice routine.  I finally dragged myself to the gym yesterday to give it a go but I had some confusion about some of the elements.  It seems like we got them straightened out.  I hope so!

I'm off to Oregon this evening to attend NW Pacific Regionals in Eugene.  It looks like I will get to be the announcer for the non-qualifying events.  Yay!  I love announcing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home