Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Fun With Salchow Entrance


Today's lesson:
  • FXOs -- first things first, I guess. We worked these in the Moves pattern. I wasn't really thrilled with them. Anna reminded me I need better extension, especially the very first push into the circle. She also reminded me that the transitions need to be quicker, for example bringing the extended free foot in and crossing it over needs to be faster.
  • BXOs -- the Moves pattern as well. These weren't too bad. Anna says the CW ones are almost where they need to be (and I can feel it too); the CCW not so much. I still need to keep pressing the heel on the back foot though.
  • waltz jump --we did these first from a standing start, then from crossovers. Anna says they look a lot better. We worked specifically on jumping straighter over the toe (really pressing the toepick/ball of the foot on the jump will help) and also on (chorus, please:) jumping up more and less out. Actually some good progress on this front, I had some good jumps that really were "up." It's encouraging.
  • salchow entrance - we are actually seriously working this now, which is interesting to me. It's LFO3, hold the LBI, curve it in while bringing the free foot in, then (eventually) "flick" the skating foot and jump. We mostly worked on getting the feel of it. I was happy with it.
  • spin entrance -- we spent a good chunk of time on it, and fixed some small problems. The first one was to step more into the circle, not so much to the left. Another one was to stand up straighter and not crouch forward. Yet another one was to not rush the step forward but to let the RBI mellow just a bit more, and to get a better push onto the LFO.
  • backspin -- finished up with this. Anna says that when I actually do it, I'm getting about 2 revs. Not bad! Anna showed me an entrance I can use, basically an RFI edge that you tighten down until you spin. She asked me to work on it.
After the lesson we worked out next week's schedule. Between the July 4th holiday (the rink is closed! Horrors!) and Anna leaving for the Hidden Valley competition in Escondido, our lessons will have to be Tuesday 7:30 a.m. and Wednesday at adult session.

Anna was really pleased with my crossovers, she said they have improved a lot, but she wants me to remind her to spend some time on them once a week.

All in all, a really good lesson. Anna asked at one point (don't remember exactly when) if I am skating more, and I shook my head. She says I'm looking more comfortable on the ice. Interesting...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home