Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Move-A-Ganza


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. freestyle --
  • alternating 3s -- back to these! We spent probably half the lesson on them. While they are continuing to improve there's still a long way to go (and we only looked at the FO3s, not the FI3s). Anna says on the RBI step forward I'm blocking with my shoulder so it's keeping me from stepping forward on the new circle without retrogressing. On the LBI, I need to feel more tension in the free leg (similar to the BI edge coming back to the line that I do so nicely). She says the upper body position is pretty good overall.
  • FO, FI, BO, BI edges -- we ran through these as for the test. FO and FI weren't bad (except for a reminder to point the toe!). BO I'm tending to pull the free leg wide when I'm on the right foot, and I was reminded to start the new edge perpendicular to the axis, not diagonal. Anna also says I need to avoid rushing -- the first couple of edges are usually quite good but then I start to rush them and they aren't as good. Need to focus and take my time on each part of each element. The BI edges weren't too bad but Anna reminded me I need to get better draw-through of the free leg, and there needs to be that "squaring-off" at the top of each lobe.
  • FXOs -- just a couple of quick times through at the end of the lesson. Anna says I'm getting reasonably good flow CCW, but the CW ones... bringing the crossing foot waaaay too wide. I also don't really remember too well that I was supposed to use a bigger circle than the hockey circles -- I have not practiced them enough that way. I believe we were aiming for basically splitting the width of the rink into two big circles. I am still not very happy with these, I just don't think they are flowing well.
A very productive lesson, all in all. Tomorrow I believe Anna wanted to look at crossovers some more, and maybe some jumps (back to Salchow and toe-loop entrances, I think) and spin setup.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home