Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Jump Entrances


Today's lesson was at coffee club since the morning FS schedule was changed. As it turned out there were only 7 or 8 people there anyway, so it was a nice environment. I talked to Anna about the Zimmerman clinic and how it went.

Today's lesson:
  • salchow entrance -- since I told Anna that I had looked at the salchow entrance, she decided to work it a little bit; just an LFO edge, LFO3, hold the LBI and then curve it in while bringing the free leg in. It's not too hard, actually; it's just important to control the LBI edge.
  • toe loop entrance -- we looked at this one too, very briefly. The main point Anna made was to make the RFI3 very straight and hold the RBO almost on a flat -- she had me do it on the blue line.
  • 5-step Mohawk -- we spent some time on these. The first and second steps are not too bad. We worked on the slide chassé for a bit -- went around the hockey circle doing slide chassés, then came back to doing the 5-step. Also worked on the step to the BO edge, to get more of a push onto it. Anna says I'm tending to stick my tush out on this 3rd step -- not sure if that will improve as I get more comfortable or if I just need to work on standing up straighter or what. She made me do a sequence of 4 of them down the line, which is the first time I've done that many in a row, I think.
  • BO edges -- we'd not looked at these in a while. The good news is that the push is getting better. The free leg position (and upper body) still needs work, though -- need more tension in the free leg. I did manage to do it better once or twice though.
  • BI edges -- these were looking pretty good. Nice draw through, nice free leg position coming back to the line. Anna says I need to get that same free leg position on the BO edges.
That was it! After my lesson I had some time, so I did some spins and my requisite 10 waltz jumps. Not much to say, there is slight improvement I suppose. They are at least comfortable, anyway.

Ice Update: The front ice is back up! There was a hockey practice going on when I was leaving the rink. It looks nice. We are still on the back ice this week; I believe they will be taking the back ice down next week or so.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home