Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

More Back Edges


For today's lesson we started by working on back edges. First back outsides on the hockey circle, then the line. They are looking much, much better. I still need to work better on scissoring the arms, getting the free foot in front at the beginning, and holding that "set" for the first part of the edge.

Next we looked at back insides. I have not worked these nearly as much as the outsides, and it showed; still they are much improved as well. We worked these on the circle, then the line, then back to the circle. I'm having a particularly difficult time getting the free foot in front on these as well. Still, I know what to work on...

We went on to look at some change-of-edge type moves; forward power pulls and some basic backward stroking with strong change of edge and weight shift. This will require a lot more work :-) but I can see where it's going.

For the last couple of minutes we re-visited the mazurkas, and practiced doing a couple hops to each side. They looked pretty good!

After the lesson we firmed up our new lesson schedule. Starting the week of the 30th it looks like it will be Mondays at 5 (during the freestyle) and Fridays at 12:30 (during coffee club). For the Monday lesson I'll have to warm up at the public session first, but since I have an annual pass that's no big deal. It will mean getting off at 4:20 instead of 4:40 p.m., but since it will only be once a week instead of twice that shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand I won't get any skating on Thursdays at all. Bummer!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home