Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Another Backwards Day


For today's lesson we started out with back crossovers (the MITF pattern). For some reason the opening LFI Mohawk scares me on this. I need to practice it more. Anyway, Anna had a lot of feedback on the BXOs, mostly working on getting more weight on the back foot, not pumping the outside foot so far back and out, and of course pressing the heel on the back foot. I need to work these a lot more, but that has to be at coffee club or a freestyle, it's too harrowing usually to try BXOs at any speed at a public session.

Next we looked at spins, both 2-foot and 2-foot to 1-foot. The 2-foot is not too bad; Anna was pleased especially with the exit landing position. However I'm still having problems, especially with the 2-foot to 1-foot. The biggest ones are 1) dropping the left shoulder on the pivot, and 2) dropping the right shoulder (and maybe the head?) back on the spin itself. I did have one really terrific one, though, which is good so that I know what it feels like.

Next we decided to do a Mohawk - back Mohawk sequence; I'd tried these on my own before but not recently. This is an FI Mohawk followed either by a BI Mohawk or a step to BO and BO Mohawk. The FI Mohawk is fine either direction but I'm very stiff on the step forward (either one) and especially Anna said "Turn your head!". If I actually can get myself to turn the head all the way it's not so bad. Anyway, another thing to work on.

We were almost out of time but went to look at spirals and lunges. Spirals, pretty much the same stuff; the LF one is not bad, the RF I need to keep the hip in, it tends to stick out and give me problems; and of course the persistent cry to keep the head up! On lunges, again the LF is not bad. We spent a little time on the RF one, again the right hip is an issue. Anna suggested pulling the right shoulder back a little.

We were out of time but nevertheless spent a couple of minutes on perimeter stroking in both directions. Still need to push for better (and especially, more consistent) extension; and also my setup for the crossovers is lacking. With that we were definitely out of time.

Anna told me after our lesson that the T-Th 5 p.m. freestyle session is going away at the end of the month, so I'll have to find a new timeslot for my lessons. GRRRR!! This setup was working so nicely! I don't know why they are pulling it, it was well attended. It makes no sense. Anyway, it looks like we'll wind up with either Monday and Friday or perhaps Tuesday and Friday. Grrr!

Finally, I had a quick question answered. The signup for the rink holiday show is going on now, and on the form it asks the skater's level. I wasn't sure what to put down, but Anna suggested either Delta or FS1. I'll put Delta on the form -- better to underpromise and overdeliver, I think.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home