Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Bunnyhops And Mazurkas!


Today's lesson started off with some review on 3-turns. Anna confirmed I'm trying to do too much with the upper body, especially on the LFO3. It seems like what I most need to do in order to do good 3s is really just to go into them confidently, with a good edge and a little speed. If I do that most of my problems fix themselves. We spent some time on the RFI3 (definitely improving) and then a fair amount of time on that nasty LFI3. The LFI3 showed some improvement, and I was able to do one that was almost not bad. It may not sound like much, but it's definitely an improvement. One of the neat things about this was when I exited my RFO3s I was "automatically" stepping to the LBO and then stepping forward to the RFO. That's neat because I didn't really "think" about it, I just kind of did it as a way of getting back to the line again.

From there we worked briefly on crossovers, doing them from the MITF pattern. Next we went on to look at perimeter stroking. I started off with the CW ones, and that was not so good. The session was a little busy, and stroking the "wrong way" was sufficiently disturbing that I tended to be distracted and didn't set up my end crossovers very well. When I went to do the CCW pattern it was definitely improved though.

With that done, we had about 10 minutes left to work on bunnyhops and mazurkas. The key correction for the bunnyhop was to think of jumping straight up, not forward. That helps enormously! I still need to figure out just what I'm doing with my hands/arms though. From there we looked again at the mazurka, and I actually managed to do a couple of okay ones. They are actually kind of fun.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home