Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, July 30, 2004

Freestyle Fun


I didn't get to skate at coffee club today due to a work conflict, but I managed to get off early enough to hit the 5 p.m. freestyle session. I had dropped my skates off for sharpening yesterday and picked them up on my way to the session.

I spent the first 40 minutes or so feeling pretty dorky. I couldn't spin worth a darn, which I attribute to my freshly-sharpened blades. I worked on forward crossovers a little, but spent most of my time working on Mohawks and 3-turns. When I actually remember to do everything right at the same time :-) my Mohawks are almost okay. In particular today I was working on turning my body more and keeping my head up, with some success. I spent a fair amount of time on my FO3s, which were kind of stinky at first but I did manage to improve them a bit. I worked the RFI3 a bit, not much improvement there. I also spent a fair amount of time on back edges. I did try a couple of bunny hops but I was just not in the mood to experiment with them.

I spent the last ten minutes or so on my back Mohawks and Choctaws. After some initial chickenheartedness I managed to get a number of good ones in, mostly off of the left foot. I did a whole slew of them in the hope that I would burn them into my muscle memory. We'll see.

It was a fun session, mostly because Lisa, Jenny, Dimitri, and a couple of girls I don't know were fooling around with more synchronized skating. At one point they all proceeded down the rink and did a side-by-side jump, all of them more-or-less at once. Another time they formed a ring and did synchronized waltz jumps. It looked like fun.

Dimitri informed me today that the girl I didn't know from Wednesday is Jenny, and the spin he was doing is a Lucinda Ruh (or just a Ruh, I guess). Thanx D!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home