Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Another Backwards Day



For today's lesson we started with back crossovers. Anna says they are improved but I still need to work on getting my weight distribution correct, and pushing the heel more. After some work Anna showed me how these are done for the test. It's similar to the forward crossovers. After some consultation, we decided on right-left-right-left steps, then an LFI Mohawk into the right hockey circle. Then as for the forward crossovers it's crossovers around the circle, cross to the other circle & switch directions and crossovers around the other circle; a total of two figure-8s. At the end she said I can either come out of the last circle and do a step-forward (back Mohawk) and "present", or just skate backwards and present. I assume the step-forward is probably more customary.

After that we worked a bit on knees and ankles, doing some forward slaloms down the rink. After a circuit of the rink forward we tried them backward -- much more challenging. From there we went to work on backward stroking around the rink. I've been practicing this a fair amount, but usually with the free foot behind the skating foot. Having the free foot in front is a bit more difficult and will take more practice (of course).

Next we went to work on back edges. In my warmup I had done the best RBO edge I've ever done -- one that makes you look back and say "wow, where did that come from?" Of course they weren't quite as good in front of Anna :-) but still they were much better and she was pleased. I'm still having a hard time keeping these together, though. It seems like the first two or three are pretty good and then I lose my focus. In particular I need to be sure to turn my head when coming back to the line. After looking at the BO edges we went back to the BI edges. These are, of course, considerably rougher. Anna gave me some notes on these (hold the position, mostly) and I'll need to work on them some more.

After that we had just a few minutes and looked at spins. I surprised Anna by going ahead and picking up the right foot on the very first one without being asked. We worked on these for a few minutes. The main correction is to lift the free foot straight up; I'm tending to just bend the knee, so the free foot is sticking out behind me and it tends to throw my balance off. Also I need to keep the free foot/leg close to the skating leg to keep a better balance.

All in all it was a pretty good lesson. At one point (when we were working on backward stroking, I think) I told Anna that if I ever start complaining she can remind me that I couldn't do this a couple of months ago! It really is true.

After the lesson Anna mentioned to me that she is going to be out of town next week for 10 days or so, so no lessons next week :-( and we'll have to reschedule the Tuesday lesson of the following week. Oh well.

Addendum:  I forgot to add when I first posted this that I had my first (sort of) fall since I got back on the ice 6/8.  It was a small thing; when I was trying that LFI Mohawk the first time it was faster than I'm used to, and after the turn I was out of balance and I fell forward at the waist and caught myself on my hands (like touching your toes).  No big deal, no pain or anything.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home