Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Speed


I was watching my tape of the '04 Nationals competition and it brought to mind something I talked about with Anna last week -- speed. One of those things that you often miss when watching on television is the speed at which skaters move. It's easy to not notice, for example, that the skater is moving fast enough for the wind to ripple her skirt (or his pants). When I went to watch the Cactus Classic a week and a half ago I was struck (again) both by how fast the better skaters moved, and (alas) how slowly most of the adults moved. I talked about this with Anna at my lesson the following Tuesday and she agreed that adults are often slower than the kids.

I really don't want to be like that. I started to say something to Anna like, "shoot me if I go that slow, okay?!" but then laughed because I realized that then she would probably have to shoot me. I guess being aware of it is something. I really don't want to be a slow skater. I want to feel the rush of air past me and the feeling of speed. I guess I have one more thing to work on :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home