Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Saturday Zoo


I didn't make it to yoga this morning, and I didn't wind up getting on the ice until 1:20. I stayed until 4:00, so about 2.5 hours of skating. It was fairly crowded at first, but the last hour or so I was there was not too bad.

I spent a fair amount of time on mohawks and 3-turns. In particular I worked the RFI3 quite a bit, and had several that were almost okay -- the best I've done. That is, I came out of them on an RBO and not a flat! I was pretty happy with that. I spent some time on spins, too, but no breakthroughs.

I spent a lot of time on forward crossovers, in particular the CW ones, to the point that I thought I was seeing some real improvement; at the very least my comfort level on them is a lot higher. There's still no real power on these, though. I really need to work on skating faster, but public sessions aren't really the place to do it.

At one point the DJ had everyone turn around and start skating CW around the rink, and it remained that way for the rest of the session. I took advantage to practice my perimeter stroking in that direction. I did okay, I only managed to put in the crossovers about 50% of the time. Still, since they were CW crossovers at (some) speed, I was pleased with them.

All in all it was a pretty good workout. I went ahead and purchased an annual pass today; this is good for all public sessions, including the adult (coffee club) sessions; so it's a good deal. I figure it will pay for itself in about 4 months or so, or less if it encourages me to skate more often (which I suspect it will).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home