Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Salchow & Toe Loop/Walley

My lesson with Holly on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert. Okay ice, just me, Q and Addy.

I warmed up with stroking, slaloms, a circle-8 and a spin.

Today's lesson:

  • footwork -- we took a couple of minutes to look at the beginning footwork from my dramatic program.  Holly had me add a chasse' before the swing roll/change of edge.  It's an extra push and it also makes it look a little more like something.
  • salchow  -- just a couple of minutes on these.  First ones were bad, then I got myself to hold the exit of the 3 and stretch the arm back and voila! Much better.
  • toe loop -- Holly wanted to look at changing the entrance to the toe loop to make it a toe walley**.  She felt this would help me improve the jump.  So instead of an RFI3 entry it's an LFO3 and a step to the R foot while the L leg swoops around behind.  The advantage of this for me is that it actually gets me to bring the whole L side around so the takeoff is not cheated.  We'll explore this more next week.
**I'm not convinced this is actually a toe walley, as AFAIK I'm still taking off the same, just a different entrance.  Anyway toe walley (not the same as a regular walley) is scored the same as a toe loop AFAIK so it's all good.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home