Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Stepping... Forward

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler Ice CafĂ©.  5 skaters and one coach today, nice ice as usual.  I scribed circles, then warmed up with edges and FO8.  First couple circles of FO8 were a bit wonky but they settled down.

Today's lesson:

  • FI8 -- a layout at a random spot.  Really nice, actually.  I managed to make the first LFI a reasonable size so it matched the RFI.  
  • waltz-8 -- we ran this a couple of times, then worked for a while just on the step forward.  We specifically worked on being more aggressive (for lack of a better word) about turning the skating foot and pushing.  What tends to happen now is that I don't really turn the skating foot on the BO edge, I just sit back on it and it cuts inside the circle so that I've turned almost perpendicular to the circle so I can step forward.  But that's not really how it's supposed to work.  If you watch someone do this who knows what they are doing you'll see them skate the BO, then turn the skating foot and push from it. So we worked on that.  Right now it skids all over the place (after all, when you turn the skating foot you have to just go, or it will skid). ugh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home