Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 07, 2017

FI8, Waltz-8 - Competition Prep

My lesson with Lynne on the Chandler 7:30 a.m FS. 3 skaters and 3 coaches... ice was a bit beat up but serviceable.  We're in this timeslot this week and next due to my travel for National Showcase this week, and getting an extra lesson next week.

I just had time to scribe a circle and warm up with some edges.

Today's lesson:

  • FI8 -- first time was a bit rough, mostly me being sloppy about pushing with the shoulder held back.  I actually put my foot down on the LFI (normally my better side!) because I pushed really hard but didn't lock my core.  Eeep.  We did it a second time and it was much better.  Tracing was good but circle size is a little small, not sure what's up with that.
  • waltz-8 -- about 20 minutes on these.  On the positive side, I am generally sort of coming back to center and it's not as horrible as it was, and I am doing the RFO3 reliably on restart (*phew).  My left circle is kind of small though, and my FO edge for the return to center is rather inconsistent -- sometimes almost okay and sometimes really horrible. Yuck.
I had just a few minutes after my lesson to practice.  Very little practice time left before the competition!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home