Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, July 31, 2017

FI8, Waltz-8

My figures lesson with Lynne on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Chandler.  Summer's over (rink-wise) and we are back on the east rink.  I'd forgotten how much softer this ice is than the west rink.  Bleah.  And of course it had not been cut for a while so not the best.  4 skaters and 4 coaches.  I warmed up with edges, scribed some circles and then just a couple of FI8s.

Today's lesson:

  • FI8 -- I was having some issues getting around the circle -- partly me and partly crappy ice.  Which I ought to have enough flow to overcome.... just sayin.  It's the RFI that I was having issues with so we worked a bit on getting me to stand up straighter on/after the push, and to hold that R hand/shoulder back.  Some improvement.  Sherwood's ice is pretty hard/fast so I think that will be okay.
  • waltz-8 -- about 20 minutes on this.  The good news (and it is pretty good news) is that I was not having an issue with the RFO3 on the restart.  Yay!  The bad news is that my step forward/return to center was really awful on the L side.  Yuck.  We finally made some progress when I reminded myself to really focus on the step/push to the BO edge.  That helped a lot and I did do some okay ones at the end.
After my lesson I worked mostly on FI8 again.

Competition is less than 3 weeks away! Eeep.

I was having a weird issue this morning.  It was really humid in the rink, and my glasses kept fogging up... I'm hoping that was a contributing factor.  Anyway I kept having this sort of "whiteout" moment while skating where it was just all white, and I felt like I didn't have any sense of how far anything was. Urp.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home