Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Competition Prep

After a wonderful time at National Showcase, and a delayed flight home last night, it was time to switch gears and get some final prep done for my figures competition at the Sherwood Invitational next weekend.  I skated the 7:30 a.m. FS at Chandler for an extra lesson with Lynne.  I warmed up with edges and then scribed some circles.

Today's lesson:

  • FI8 -- we did one just-off the circles I'd scribed (a couple steps to the left).  No warmup, and it showed as I had some issues controlling the free shoulder.  After that we moved entirely off the circles to random places.  Not too bad, although I was having some definite issues being able to spot my center depending on lighting and placement (ugh).  I'm mostly feeling okay with this.
  • waltz-8 -- we started on the scribed circles and they were kind of okay, then went to random places.  Mostly not too bad, some similar issues of finding the center for return and of course my circles are still not test-worthy (very egg-shaped due to my bad step forward).  At this point I mostly just want to be able to complete the figure and not embarrass myself too badly.  From that perspective I think it will be okay.
After my lesson I just had a few moments so I mostly practiced the L side of the waltz-8 and a couple more FI8s.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home