Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Ouch

My power lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  I picked up my newly-sealed and sharpened skates at FedEx just before my lesson, and had about 20 minutes to warm up in them.

Today's lesson:

  • stroking -- two (count 'em, two) hard laps.
  • FXOs -- around the end circles, around the center, then around the other end.  Clockwise is still pretty rough.
  • slaloms -- two laps!  Ugh but they went better than I would have thought, actually.
  • twizzles -- actually, not too bad.  We did several sets up and down the line.
  • mohawks -- this was inside mohawk - inside edge, change feet, repeat.  This gets at the problems I have getting into the power-3s from the back lobes.  Tough, but it was improving until...
  • splat! -- Holly told me one more set of mohawks and as I started on the RFI edge I somehow started to fall backward, and in doing so my L foot caught (I think my toepick caught the ice instead of sliding out in front of me) and so I went down on my back but my ankle hyperextended or something.  The good news (and it really is good news) is that I didn't hit my head.  The bad news is I really sprained my L ankle good.  Holly took my boot off for me and Melissa got me some ice, then Holly and Ward helped me up.  Yuck.
So a few hours later, it's pretty swollen.  It actually doesn't hurt that much (ibuprofen for the win!).  I think it will be okay.  I'm icing it and doing all that good stuff.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home