Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Power Pull Prep & Spins

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.

Today's lesson:

  • power pull prep -- that's one description, I guess.   We worked on a drill of skating backwards with C-cuts and working to really get the weight over the skating side.  Ugh.  R side is not bad but the left is a challenge. I'm really having to bend my knees more for this!
  • spins -- JJ gave me a drill to get me to enter the spin stronger, basically on the step forward from the windup to really put the weight over the L foot and then really scoop with the R foot so that it is always to the side and not back.  Yow.  It really made me realize how much my weight is usually NOT in the right place.  Eeep.
All in all I'm really feeling there's a lot of synergy between my power lessons and my freestyle lessons the last several weeks. It's pretty encouraging.

I mailed my freestyle skates off to Oregon at lunchtime to be worked on by Jim at NW Skate Authority so I will not have them back until 6/5.  I still have my patch skates so I won't be entirely off the ice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home