Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

2016 MidWinter Warmup

I skated my "Ashton" APB Free Skate today at the 2016 MidWinter Warmup.

I was at the rink most of the day, announcing for 2.5 hours and generally hanging out and cheering people on.  Around 3:30 I went back to the hotel to rest and grab my stuff; I wound up taking an (unplanned) 45 minute nap.  I guess I was tired!

The competition was running about 15 minutes behind schedule, so around 7 or so I went and put my costume on.  I was sharing a warmup with the Bronze Men's FS (5 of them) and then I had my exhibition after their event.

Finally it was time for warmup!  I went out and stroked around, then warmed up my waltz jump and salchow (it was good!).  Then I practice some program chunks -- mohawk/cross into the spin, the lunge3 into the salchow (wanted to practice the lunge because the ice was freshly surfaced), and then the spiral into the waltz jump.  Ice was fast but I was feeling pretty good, and somewhat relaxed which is really unusual for me (yay!!).

Warmup ended and I got off the ice and waited for the Bronze men to finish, then I was called out for my event.  Skated into position and off I went.  Opening was good.... spiral w/arms was good... waltz jump/side toe hop was good.  Moonwalk/lunge/mohawks/cross were okay.  Spin was... meh.  2 revs I think.  By this point I was 2-3 seconds ahead of the music, I think.  Then into the lunge-3, and I caught my edge in a way I didn't plan when I came around, so that was a little off-putting but okay.  BXOs into the salchow... waaaay too much "think time" but I was still pretty ahead so not really a problem timing-wise.  The salchow... was pretty good!  I two-footed the landing (grrr!) but the salchow itself was correct (and not a spin-cow)!  So that was a first, and I was pretty happy about it.  YAY!  Finished off the two pivots and I still had some extra time so I did a swizzle-back into the final pose, and I was done.

Took my bows and got off the ice!  Alas, no medals for exhibitions so I just went and took my skates off and got comfy, then hung out to watch the rest of the skating, then we all went out for dinner.

All in all I'm really very pleased with this.  I bought the video and will post it when I get a chance.  There are still some things I want to try to improve -- mostly the spin, and a better spiral. 

Sectionals in less than 3 weeks!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home