Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

MidWinter Practice

I skated for 45 minutes at the afternoon public at East West, the venue for MidWinter tomorrow.

This turned out to be a great choice!  I got on about 1:40 (session is 1 - 4:45) and the ice was pretty dead, just me and a couple of other figure skaters and maybe 5 - 7 wallhuggers.  I ran through my 5 minute warmup and then spent the rest of the time working on problem chunks of my free skate -- mohawk/cross into the spin, the salchow, and the spiral into the waltz jump.  Then I spent some quality time on the salchow.  I managed to do 3 really good ones in a row -- I was able to make myself WAIT for it and also bend the L knee before the jump.  Whether I'll be able to do that when I have program adrenaline is anyone's guess, of course :-).  All in all it was good practice though.  Didn't want to do too much so that I don't get too tired.

This morning I went over to Paramount Iceland, the venue for PCAS this year.  It's not too far from EWIP actually, about 5 miles.  It's an older rink (opened 1940) but it has some charm to it.  It also has a real pipe organ!  Cool. 

I skate tomorrow night at 7:30ish.  I also have a couple of announcing shifts, the first announcing I've done in Southern California.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home