Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Power

My power lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  I warmed up with stroking and some crossovers, then worked a little on spins and jumps.

Today's lesson:

  • stroking -- as usual.  
  • lunges -- twice around the rink pushing Holly doing alternate lunges.  I did some of these yesterday with Danette. Actually they feel pretty good; good speed and I feel like I'm getting down really low (I should get someone to video me).  
  • forward slaloms around the circle  --  I still think these stink but Holly insists they're not that bad.  They are tiring though.
  • back swizzle hops --  OMG.  We  did 2 laps of these.  Back swizzle, jump and try to tap the boots together. First holding Holly's hands and then on my own.  It's kinda scary but getting better.
  • FXOs -- around the circles (PreBronze MIF pattern).  I felt like I was not going as fast as I have been, partly because I was tired and partly because being that close to the wall scares me when I'm going that fast.  So we moved to the middle circle and Holly held my hand and I went faster.  Eeep.
I was wearing my Apple watch and so I checked my heart rate a couple of times during the lesson... 170 bpm!  That is about max heart rate for a person my age.  I have to say, while it was tiring I didn't feel like I was going to die, so I guess that's pretty good.  My resting heart rate is around 70.

This is slowly getting better.  This feels really productive to me; it's very encouraging.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home