Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Jumps

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  I warmed up with some spins and Bronze moves.

Today's lesson:

  • waltz jump -- JJ wanted a bit more speed into the jump and also to actually do the setup etc. correctly (with good form, esp. arms).  I did a couple that were well-formed but somewhat lacking in height/spring.
  • salchow -- ugh.  I really do need to work on these more.  I'm getting a better feel for it but I am not consistent at all yet.
  • toe loop -- it took a while for me to get these back to where they were a couple of weeks ago, but it did happen.  I really need to watch the upper body on the entrance so that I don't swing around too quickly.  I do feel like I can fix what I need to do make this a nice jump.
After my lesson I talked with JJ on practice time and how I should focus.  He'd like me to do 1/3 moves, 1/3 jumps and 1/3 spins.  Hmm.  Seems like a lot of time on spins (does my lack of enthusiasm show?).

We also talked about competitions as I realized that Autumn Antics is 2 months away and I don't have a showcase program.  I think I will just not compete.  I feel like I am doing too much right now as it is (3 lessons a week) and I have barely enough ice time to work on stuff from lessons and improve so I can have a better free skate and to make the fixes I need for Bronze moves.  Ugh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home