Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 18, 2015

Power

My power lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  I warmed up with Bronze moves (just perimeter XOs and power-3s).

Today's lesson:

  • stroking -- 2 laps.  I am definitely going faster.  I need to work on my hockey stops because there's no way I can stop from this fast w/a snowplow or T-stop.
  • slaloms -- ugh.  Soo tiring and they still stink, I am not keeping my feet together.
  • pushing -- of course.  Instead of braking with the toepicks, now she's using a full-on snowplow stop from each foot. I did manage it though!
  • FXOs -- I still feel really out of control though I am getting a pretty good underpush on the easier side, not so much on the other side.  I really need to bend my knees more, I assume, and lean over that FO edge to feel more secure.  They are definitely faster though.
  • slaloms on the circle -- ugh these are even harder than down the rink.  These led right into...
  • power pull intro -- as she explained, basically the slalom on one foot (I knew this).    We did these on the big circle. You need a kind of down into the FI edge and rise up for the FO.  We did both directions and they were generally pretty horrible, though they did get slightly better.
  • FI3/twizzle thing -- don't know how to describe this.  Basically an FI3/BO3/spinning kind of thing alternating down the line, almost like a twizzle.  I kind of did this, but they were pretty rough.
After my lesson I stayed for a few minutes and worked on toe loop and salchow.  Judge Ken said the toe loops are much improved, and Scott mentioned that I am definitely skating faster, which is nice ot hear.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home