Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Spins, Swing Rolls

My lesson with Lynne on the 7:45 a.m. FS at Chandler.  For the first time in forever, I did NOT warm up with Bronze moves. Instead I stroked and did crossovers and even a couple of jumps.  I also spent a few moments working on the cross chasse's / tuck behinds from the RB.  I can almost do them on one side, but not the other.

Today's lesson:

  • Test debrief -- we talked briefly about my experience with the test and what I learned from it.
  • standing start spins -- the first one I did was terrific! 3 revs.  After that, not so much although they got worse and then better again. Clearly I need to work harder.. at not thinking so much :-).
  • windup -- so-so.  I did manage to do a nice 3 rev spin (not the first one!) that is, I think, the best I've ever done from the windup.  Yay me!
  • swing rolls -- I had told Lynne I wanted to work on these since I have dance class tonight.  We spent about 10 minutes on them -- I put the music on so I would not be able to cheat on tempo.  We did make some progress.  The R side is a lot better than the left, I don't know why.  I did notice that if I do it right I do feel that I settle back on the blade on the 2nd part of the roll and get a little speed out of it. 
As we were finishing up, Naomi came on the ice and saw me practicing my swing rolls.  Yay for showing the teacher you're working on stuff outside of class! :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home