Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

RFO Power 3s

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.

Today's lesson was just the RFO3 side of the Bronze power-3s.  JJ was shocked because I actually ASKED him to bring Le Stick. (Le Stic? lol). So we spent our whole lesson working through the right side of the power-3s.

I realized a little ways into this that part of my issue is that I would finish the BXO and then pause on the LBI before stepping forward -- which is where I would get stuck.  So part of the solution is to slow down the BXO and then immediately step forward to the RFO.  This actually worked!  I worked through it two or 3 times.  The lobes are really shallow and the 3s are way early... but they happened.  So that's real progress.  Much more work to do but I'm feeling more optimistic about this.

I talked with JJ about our status of these moves.  The plan for now is to try to get a critique of my moves in December sometime, and then if that's okay we'll work on testing in January.  Then I will have to throw my free skate back together in time for MidWinter. Eeep!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM , Blogger George A said...

    Gordon: It might help you from turning your FO3 early if you count 1-2-3-turn (like for the Waltz-8). I probably move my lips and look funny when I do this but so far no one has pointed that out to me!

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Gordon said...

    George, thanks. I've tried that. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I'm a musician so I can count to 3 as fast or slow as I want :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home