Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Preliminary Test

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler Ice Cafe.

I am still getting over a cold so I have been off the ice since my return from NWP Regionals... but I figured ( :-) ) I would be okay with some patching.  I had fixed my scribe also!

Today's lesson started pretty much right when I got on the ice w/no warmup.

Today's lesson:

  • edges -- pretty good.  BI first lobe still a bit weak, but overall I'd say passable.
  • FO8 -- pretty good although for some reason my circles were a little small.
  • FI8  -- decent.  We spent a little time trying to make my push for the LFI match the RFI one -- as it is the RFI ones are nicely placed but the LFI ones are too far out, i.e. I'm widestepping a bit. Not too hard to correct if I am actually paying attention...
  • waltz-8 -- what can one say? About the same.  After we went through it we spent some time breaking down the step forward.  I watched Lynne do it once and noticed that she really keeps her hands/arms close immediately before & after the step forward.  So I ran just the step forward and was actually able to improve it a lot... so then we ran it with the turn before it and whammo... Clearly part of the problem is that I don't check the 3 very well and so I'm still fixing my position when I push to the BO edge, which doesn't set me up well for success.  So there's more to fix here, really.
All in all good progress; at least I know more what's going on. 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:01 AM , Blogger George A said...

    Gordon: Wasn't the waltz 8 part of the pre-bronze Moves test when you took it--or has the test changed? I'm struggling with the waltz 8 as well.

     
  • At 10:49 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Yes, it was, and it was the bane of my existence there. In figures I will have to do it 3 times on each foot and I'll be held to a rather higher standard than in Pre-Bronze MITF.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home