Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

My spin lesson with Lynne on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Chandler.  As usual for this session it was just me, Cameron and Jaclyn (and coach Tammi).  We were delayed by 15 minutes as the ice was so bad (fog, bumps) that the skating director (Lord bless her!) told them to Zam it again before she'd let us on.  That helped a lot but it was still quite foggy and raining in the rink.

I warmed up with moves, then we started our lesson:
  • standing start -- mmph.  I don't think I got more than 1.5 revs the whole time.  I just could not get over my L side.
  • windup -- not any better.  Yuck.

A very very frustrating lesson (my glasses were fogged up halfway through so I couldn't see).  I feel like I'm just not getting anywhere and I don't know what to do.  More of the same just does not seem to be cutting it.  I've worked with, what, 5 different coaches on these over the years?  I have been skating for 11 years and I can't spin worth a damn and practically everyone, even adults I know who have been skating for just a few months, can spin much, much better than me.  It's so frustrating.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger Hudson Family said...

    Hang in there. I've been trying to spin for over a year, and I feel like it's just now starting to click and work. Everyone has been on me to spin, spin, spin, and I think part of my problem was the pressure to do it plus having a coach tell me "you might as well quit now" if I couldn't spin, *and* dealing with the fear from a very bad fall on a spin attempt that landed me in the ER. I had to unpack the baggage from it. It's not easy.

    I'm watching adults who are in Gamma spin better than me, and it's beyond frustrating. I have to stop and remind myself that comparing myself to others is useless. Just focus on me.

    Keep going, hang in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home