Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Spin Progress!

I had a spins lesson with Lynne on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert this morning -- make-up for last week.  Due to the holiday it was a pretty busy session!  But we managed to be productive :-).

We spent about 20 minutes working on the spin from standstill.  We actually made some progress!  I think one of the keys was that we drew me a small circle to follow -- I had noticed in my practice at Arcadia that if I had a visual guideline I was able to (more or less) follow it but when I didn't I had a hard time making the circle smaller.  So that really helped!   There's still more to do on this as far as getting me into a good position; basically we got to the point where I could initiate the spin but couldn't really maintain it at all.  Still, it's progress.

Next we worked on the spin from windup.  This has improved too.  I think the work I've done from standstill has helped me to be a bit more deliberate.  The hardest part here is committing to bringing the free leg all the way in and keeping it there (and pulling up).  Ugh.  Still it is slowly coming along.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home