Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, May 03, 2014

Santa Fe Skate

I was visiting Santa Fe and skated the Genoveva Chavez Community Center (GCCC) rink today.  My friend Olivia coaches there and with JJ's blessing we did some work together.

The rink is pretty nice -- very open and spacious.  I skated the afternoon public which was not too crowded (at least by Phoenix standards).  I worked on some of the stuff I'd been working on with JJ and also some spins (they were uniformly horrible).

Olivia and I worked on a number of small things.  In an effort to get me to not look down so much during my waltz jump, she asked me to hold my chin up with my hand (sort of a "Thinker" pose) during the jump. Eeep!  Amazingly enough though I actually did manage it.  And it did help my landing, at least, as the landing edge felt really good.  Hmm.  We also worked on spirals and lunges a bit.  She showed me a sort of a "kick" (not the right word) to do as you enter the spiral -- straighten the skating leg and kick the free leg up and higher.  Eeep.  It was okay though.

All in all it was a lot of fun! GCCC is a really nice rink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home